Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Have I Been Offended?...

Generally speaking I would probably try to avoid posts like this. However, it is something I do feel very strongly about. Maybe I'm thick-skinned or overly confident, but one thing I've never been able to figure out is how some people are so easily offended.

I didn't mean to... I promise

Let me make no mistake about it, people say and do hurtful things, whether voluntary or involuntary. I would also follow that statement with this... 90% of the time it seems the offending party does not mean to be offensive. I truly believe this. There is just one little detail I've failed to mention though. It is absolutely our choice whether we are offended. This may sound odd to some of you out there, but it's true. We have the ability to decide how we want to react to any situation. Do we choose to be offended or do we choose to (privately) seek the true meaning of what someone said or did, or do we simply disregard an intentionally mean remark or act? As the Captain Hook song in Peter Pan says, "The choice is up to you, the choice is up to you!"

I sooo wanted to make a Peter Pan reference

Am I wrong here people?

1 comment:

Amy said...

You're on the money with this one Jake. Of course, those who are easily offended will find offense to this post! HAHAHA!