Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm a Scout Master now. Please shoot me!


Well, I guess it isn't quite as bad as the title suggests, but it's not far off. Let me give you a brief history of my experience with scouting.

I was an active scout (as far as camping trips were concerned) but didn't really care to advance or get my Eagle award. I always thought it was a fun diversion from sports, my friends, girls and everything else I was REALLY into. My family didn't place a whole lot of emphasis on the program. That's pretty much the attitude I've always had concerning it. Fast forward to the present. I get the calling extended to me by the Bishop and I swear on my life this is the only church calling I have ever received where I had serious doubts... so much so that it took me a week to accept it. Not so much that god was wrong for choosing me (sort of a scouting program scrooge), but that I would even be able to do a decent job and not screw it up too much.

Look at the dude in this picture. He's like "Captain ScoutMaster Dujour." I want to feel like him. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids that are in my troop. They are great kids. I also love the outdoors and camping. That's not it at all. If that's all scouting amounted to, I would be as happy as a 12 year old girl with front row tickets to a Hannah Montana concert. I'm just struggling to feel that what I am doing is truly important in these kids lives; that it's more important than other activities they are involved with. I'm sure there is a reason that the church keeps it's sponsorship with the BSA and that it is important, so I am trying everyday to have a greater appreciation for it. Maybe some of you can help. If you have good suggestions of how scouting is a great program, I ask of you please post them so that I can become converted.

I've always said this is one calling - on a very short list - that I never wanted to have. Now my bad dream has become reality. So I guess all I can do is continue to press forward on my quest to find the love within me for the scouting program (wish me luck.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake, i think it's great that you're a scout master. i know that it's not a calling you wanted but the Lord did call you because he thought you could do it. you asked for suggestions why it's a good program. i wasn't ever in scouts but i did achieve my young womanhood award and i'm so glad that i did. it was a way that i could learn and grow and it was something that i could do with my mom. i think the same applies to scouts. it's a way for them to learn and grow and hopefully spend time with their dads and do things together. matt has always told me that he knew more than any eagle scout when it came to outdoor stuff but the church obviously thinks it's a good program and can help a person out. any education is good education. i think it can be something new in a kids life like you said, it gets a kid away from other things in life. i personally think it's a great program and hope that matt will help be supportive of hayzen in doing it because i really want him to do it because i know it will help him learn and grow not just mentally but spiritually as well. if nothing else it's a way that boys can be obedient to the Lord. I hope this helped some. i know you'll do great.
ps. i loved your analogy of hannah montana. my little sister just adores her. lol.

Amy said...

I have to admit Jake, I own a soapbox in this department. The scouting program is a wonderful program and I am thrilled for you to be in this calling. Growing up my dad was ALWAYS the scoutmaster. Seriously. No matter where we moved to he got the same calling. Needless to say, I had a lot of exposure. On to my point... Here are a few of the things I think this program fosters:
*self-reliance
*self-esteem
*preparedness
*responsibility
*respect (for self and others)
*dependability
*a chance for the boys to focus on something besides themselves, because let's face it, that's what you focus on at 12-18 years of age
*love
*family values
*testimony
*leadership
*etc, etc, etc.
My grandfathers, dad and brothers are all eagle scouts and I expect my boys (future) to do the same.

Mr. Jere B. Ratcliffe, chief Scout executive, "The leadership of the Boy Scouts of America recognizes that religious principles are the important part of life. When a young man begins to grow in his faith, he will begin to grow from within and thereby be better prepared to make a positive difference in our society.

Scouting also continues to emphasize the traditional family values. President David O. McKay, a great and supportive Scouter, often stated, and I quote: “No success can compensate for failure in the home.” Together Scouting and the Church continue to encourage the growth of family value and of family values."

JAKE said...

Thanks girls. It's funny that I have to hear it from the women to help me understand that it is important.

Anonymous said...

Jake,
You don't know me but I am Matt's older brother. I was looking at your FlitchCreative blog and decided to look at the links to see who Matt worked with. I just wanted to let you know the importance of the scoutmaster calling you received. I was a scoutmaster for many years as my oldest son was a young teenager and up thru his receiving his Eagle scout award.
From my perspective, the scouting program is set up to raise the young men as we would all like to see them be raised. The values scouting teaches can lead the young men to greatness if they but follow the guidelines that they use in the scouting program. Sure, in this day and age, the young men have too many other things pulling them in all directions, but anything good and positive you can implement into a young person's life has to help.
My fulfillment came from being able to have a hand in sculpting a small part of some of these boys lives, and seeing them do things that were positive, and things that would help them later in their life. It was so fulfilling when a young man would receive the recongnition for earning awards that they would not have the chance to earn if the scoutmaster wasn't there to lead and guide them. There is much more that I enjoyed like friendships, experiences, and the pure joy of doing something good for the boys, but it is not something you can take lightly and succeed. You have to dedicate yourself to do all you can, which at times will be very trying on you, but the joy you will receive will be unbelievable.
As we all know, the youth need all the positive influences they can get and this is one way that you can say that you have done your part to support the youth.
I, like you, never did a lot with scouting and getting my eagle, but I now understand the importance and great influence scouting can have on all those who participate!
Good luck and I hope to meet you soon!