Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Love My Job

I have a confession to make. I know this may seem strange to some, but others will understand exactly what I'm talking about. OK, you ready, here it is... I love my job. That's right, I love what it is that I do for a living. Believe me when I say that this has seldom been the case.
Growing up on a farm didn't allow for as much free time as other kids during the summer. While they were swimming and enjoying movies, I was hard at work. Working essentially 6 1/2 days out of the week is just not my cup o' tea. I guess that's why I decided to go to college and pursue what I really love - Computers. I've always been a sort of a geek. I remember wanting to hog the old Apple Mark II computer in grade school just to play Oregon Trail. Yeah that game ruled, except my character never seemed to make the whole trip without dying. (Stupid Cholera!) But I digress.
As soon as I took a few classes at Dixie State College such as Illustrator and Photoshop I was hooked. I've always wanted to express myself in some way that was very visual. Now I get to do that nearly every day. As part owner of Flitch Creative I get to be excited to go into work every day and create something unique and memorable.
I have too many friends and family members that drag themselves to work as if they were compelled by minions of tiny invisible creatures with long whips. I was determined NOT to be one of them.
do you really want to end up like this

What's the secret to loving your job you ask? It's so simple it almost seems stupid. Here it is... DO WHATEVER YOUR PASSIONATE ABOUT AND DO IT WELL. I realize that some of your passions may be harder to make cold hard cash with than others, but if you work at it, I believe you can be successful in any capacity. Heck, some people play video games for a living, or sample fine cheeses. Find a way to market what it is YOU do.

So what do you think. Do you hate your job? Does it feel like you are a robot programmed to do the same thing day in and day out with no passion?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jake that is awesome that you love your career. I feel bad for matt sometimes because i know he loves the horses but sometimes he feels like it's a job instead of something he can enjoy. we're working on getting more money so we can have more time to do things we love and so matt doesn't have to do what he loves to rely on money. i hope someday i can be like you and have a successful business of my own taking pictures and doing videos. congrats on being such a success.