Friday, March 14, 2008

Good people all around us

I know, I know, it's late and I shouldn't be up posting to my blog. This entry is a little wordy, but I think if you read it all, it may make you feel good inside.

I had an experience last night that I want to share with you all. It was my 4th year anniversary being married to my lovely wife (topic for another post.) We don't get to do a nice peaceful dinner very often these days with the kids and all, but for a night, we pampered ourselves just a little. We went to Samurai 21, which is a local Japanese Habachi (I guess that's how it's spelled?) steakhouse, where we were seated next to an older couple originally from Brooklyn, NY... I'd estimate them to be in their 80's.

Now to the point of my story. I figured it would be nice to at least have some small talk with them (after all we were eating like 2 feet away from them.) What followed was a pleasant conversation full of witty banter and genuine interest in one another. I don't know what religion they are-- it doesn't matter. After the meal we said our goodbyes and as the couple got up to leave, the sweet old lady gave my wife and I each a kiss on the cheek and wished us the best with our life... they consequently had been married for over 54 years. How amazing!

This experience has reinforced something that I have always felt... that there are far more "good" people around us everyday than what is portrayed in popular mainstream media or even the news. People who, while oblivious to it, make a substantial difference in the lives of others. How do you find and meet these people? Just open your mouth. You'll be amazed at what a few kind words, if spoken regularly, to a stranger can mean for not only their life but yours. I was touched by the aforementioned couple and my wife and I both left with a smile on our face and inside our hearts, knowing that we had met a couple who (in our minds) make up "the salt of the earth."

No comments: