Monday, March 16, 2009

Things I enjoy - Monday edition

I know it sounds like I've been whining a lot in my last few posts but that isn't the case at all. I'd like to think of myself as something more like a watchdog (albeit a very small one) against anti-American semetism and policies. I'm very patriotic and like to be involved in my country. That being said, I want to mix it up a little today with something lighthearted and fun. The following are things (in no particular order) that I enjoy on any given Monday. I have much to be thankful for and it's time I let everyone know.

I enjoy my children's excitement when I walk through the door after work, their faces beaming and yelling daddy, daddy, daddy! Carmendee does this little dance where she flaps her arms rapidly and wiggles from side to side as she squeals with delight. Jaron yells at the top of his lungs, "Daddy is home!" and runs over to give me a big hug and kiss. If this sounds a little like Leave it to Beaver land, I promise you it's for real. I enjoy a warm embrace with my wife... then she usually asks me to pop her back, which I am happy to oblige with. I enjoy the excitement of my kids when I ask them if they want to go for a ride to the store with me. They love trips in the car, especially with dad AND mom. Jaron loves to push the cart and Carmendee is the perfect passenger while browsing up and down the isles of the grocery store. I think it's fun to watch them try to play Wii Fit as they bob back and forth trying to ski down the mountain or head some soccer balls.

We're a pretty rag-tag looking bunch in this photo

Mondays are also a great night for my favorite TV shows. After putting the kids to sleep we can enjoy some time together watching 24 or our perennial favorite, Chuck. I enjoy lying in bed with my wife relaxing and reflecting over the days events. After the kids have long been asleep we will sneak into their bedrooms just to gaze upon them one last time before we also call it a night. Carmendee is always laying on top of all of the blankets seemingly to make it impossible to tuck her in and Jaron has his entourage of stuffed animals all cuddled around his pillow.

As you can see it doesn't take a lot for me to be happy. If I can see my wife and kids happy and healthy and spend time with them that is really all I need. Simple delights. So no matter how messed up this world becomes I know my home can be a santuary from it all.

I'll end with this picture. This is a project Jaron did over at his daycare with Sheryl. They painted a rock and added hair and a face. When we asked him what it was he said it's name was Bridget! I have no idea where he'd ever heard of that name before. Needless to say, we thought it was pretty funny. What an imagination that kid.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Good ol' Bridget. He has such a great imagination. Love you!